Weekly Song # 1

12.10.2008



Joe Tex ~ The Love You Save (May Be Your Own)


This is an out-and-out soul song, which displays Joe Tex's, dare I say, sexy voice. A slow, steady beat is carried throughout the song, making me want to snap my fingers and sway back and forth with the smoky rythm permeating the groove. The vibrato in his voice adds just the right amount of feeling without bogging down the flow.


Joe Tex was a rather popular soul/R&B singer throughout the 60's, having a handful of songs reaching the top 40. In 1966, Joe Tex converted to the Muslim faith, changing his name to Yusuf Hazziez, and then began touring as a spiritual leader. Joe decided to come back to music in the mid 70's, and flattered women across the country with his comeback hit "Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman)", in 1975. This song was first released on Joe Tex's 1966 album, The Love You Save, and never made it into the top 40.


I first heard this song while watching an otherwise unremarkable Quentin Tarantino movie, Deathproof. It had been about a month since I saw it, but I recalled enjoying a few songs that were played during the movie, so set off finding the soundtrack. I don't remember exactly where the song occurs in relation to the movie, but I do recall it helped create an excellent atmosphere. Trantino has always excelled at fitting a movie's soundtrack to the feeling of the scenes, even if the movie itself is dismal. Even if he didn't know it, Joe Tex wrote "The Love You Save (May Be Your Own)", specifically for this movie.


1 comments:

Epic Gecko said...

Where's the fancy new music?


Also, my verification word is rexpors, I think this word needs a definition.