Snow Day

12.09.2008


Thanks to the winter storm that is raging outside of my window right now, I was given the day off to do whatever I want with. As can be seen from in the picture (view from my window), it's starting to slow down out there, but the roads are still quite treacherous, or so says the weather man. So far, I've managed to get a cup of java from a coffee shop two blocks away. This also afforded me a great chance to stare out the window at a bunch of hapless auto drivers trying to dig out their plowed in cars. Don't get me wrong, if someone was actually stuck I'd help them out, but if I get the sense they are making progress, I'm content to watch.


Now it's on to bigger and better things - making tacos. There's nothing more satisfying to my tastebuds than gathering up an exorbitant amount of toppings, browning some beef, and savoring the burn of adding way too many jalapenos. My personal favorite is creating a, "double decker" taco, a la Taco Bell. Get some soft shell tacos, hard shell tacos, and stick them together with some refried beans in the middle...it's fabulous. One tasty little secret I've stumbled upon in my recent tacoings is chipotle sauce. A chipotle is basically a smoked jalepeno, so this stuff has a nice kick, while also providing a smokey taste to it as well. It comes in a small can (maybe 7 oz?), and can be found at mexican grocery stores, or even at a well stocked traditional grocery store. I usually add about 1/2 a can in when I add the water to the ground beef, but it can get pretty spicy, so adjust to taste.

1 comments:

Ric said...

Wow, that chipotle mix sounds delish.

I was upset when Oretga stopped making the Chipotle sauce, but I'll have to check out the local Mexican grocery store.